The university is dedicated to maintaining a safe and healthy work and academic environment, improving indoor and outdoor air quality, and promoting the comfort of university students, faculty, staff, and guests. Research findings show that tobacco use, including smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke, constitutes a significant health hazard. In addition to causing direct health concerns, smoking contributes to institutional costs, including fire damage, cleaning and maintenance costs, and costs associated with employee absenteeism, health care, and medical insurance.
It is the policy of The George Washington University to promote a smoke-free environment in all university owned and managed buildings and owned and leased vehicles. It is also the policy of the university to promote a smoke-free environment at its Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon, and Virginia Science and Technology campuses generally, including in and on university owned outdoor spaces as well as on public space that abuts buildings in the Foggy Bottom campus that are used by the university for academic, athletic, recreational, residential, and administrative purposes.
Who is Governed by this Policy
Effective August 1, 2013 smoking or inhaling any tobacco or other smoking product, by any method, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes, and hookah is prohibited as follows:
- In university owned or managed academic, athletic, recreational, and administrative facilities;
- In university owned or managed residential facilities, including residence halls and townhouses;
- In university owned and leased vehicles;
- In university parking garages and loading docks of university facilities;
- In any university owned outdoor space including, but not limited to, Kogan Plaza, University Yard, and all athletic fields;
- In public space that abuts buildings in the Foggy Bottom campus that are used by the university for academic, athletic, recreational, residential, and administrative purposes;
- In the Mount Vernon campus; and
- Within a minimum of twenty-five feet (25 ft.) of buildings used by the university for academic, athletic, recreational, residential, and administrative purposes on the Virginia Science Technology campus.
Please refer to the maps found on smokefree.gwu.edu for more detail on smoke-free areas. The university reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to designate certain areas where smoking is permitted on the campuses.
The success of this policy depends on the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of smokers and non-smokers. It is the responsibility of all members of the university community to comply with this policy. Members of the university community should inform visitors and service providers about this policy, as appropriate. This policy applies even in the absence of posted “No Smoking” signs. Any individual may voice objections to smoking in any smoke-free area without fear of retaliation.
Employees with questions or concerns about violations of this policy should contact their immediate supervisor or department head or University Human Resources. Students with questions or concerns about violations of this policy should contact the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. If necessary, the matter will be referred by these offices to University Human Resources, the Office of the Provost, or the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, as appropriate, for resolution.
DC Code, Title 7, Chapter 17, Restrictions on Tobacco Smoking, § 7-1703 et seq. (Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon Campuses)
VA Code, Chapter 28.2, Virginia Indoor Clean Air Act, § 15.2-2826 (Virginia Science and Technology Campus)
|Contact||Phone Number||Email Address|
|Human Resource Management and Development||202-994-8500||[email protected]|
|Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities||202-994-6757||[email protected]|
|Office of the Provost, Faculty Affairs||202-994-6783||[email protected]|
Responsible University Official: Vice President and Chief People Officer
Responsible Office: University Human Resources
Non-compliance with this policy can be reported through this website.